Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bruins make Hunwick official

Matt Hunwick held a conference call today with Peter Chiarelli discussing his new contract. The contract has been confirmed as a two-year deal with an annual cap hit of $1.45 million.

The biggest question with Hunwick was his health as he had reportedly lost 20 pounds following the removal of his spleen. Hunwick hopes to be be up to 200 lbs. by opening night, up from a low of 177 lbs. Hunwick talked about getting home after the removal of his spleen and how he quickly he got back into his regimen.

"I think I got home Wednesday or Thursday, then started training on Friday," Hunwick said. "I took my rest in the hospital. From that point, it's been slowly coming back. By the middle of June, I felt 100 percent. I have my wind. My weight is starting to come back. I have absolutely no limitations right now. I'm training just as hard as I did last summer. The spleen's been a non-issue."

That is a good sign for Boston and the Bruins back end. The signing leaves only one RFA unsigned. Of course, this RFA is Phil Kessel. It is likely a trade will be made whether Kessel stays or not.

No comments: